39th & Leavenworth Construction

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dark Eyes
Home Owners Association

39th & Leavenworth Construction

Post by Dark Eyes »

What's being built in the block bounded by 39th, 40th, Leavenworth, & Jones?

I'm guessing it's something associated with UNMC, but would like to know more specifics.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm not trying to start an anti-car argument here (thankfully we seem to have moved beyond those lately), but why is this building set so far back from the street?  Most of the other recent developments, and planned buildings on the current adjacent surface lots, front the street.  Why put this one at the back of the lot with all of the parking in front?
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

I'm not trying to start an anti-car argument here (thankfully we seem to have moved beyond those lately), but why is this building set so far back from the street?  Most of the other recent developments, and planned buildings on the current adjacent surface lots, front the street.  Why put this one at the back of the lot with all of the parking in front?
I am not a car hater, but I agree. Especially, when you see that they plan a large parking structure across the street to the west. Plus, the way UNMC is eating up land in that area, why not exclude the parking lot (or minimize it)  in favor of open land for future development?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The most surprising thing about this building is the amount of Geofoam they used as backfill on the east side.  I haven't seen a building around here where they have used it that much.  Doesn't mean it has not happened in the past, I just haven't seen it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So is it still going to look like the rendering above? I thought I had seen something different on the UNMC thread.