Child Saving Institute (45 and Dodge)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

More good news for midtown

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Agency plans bold building
The Child Saving Institute this morning launched a $10.7 million campaign to build a two-story, $8.7 million facility at 46th and Dodge Streets and to fund a $2 million endowment.
"This will be a western gateway into the midtown area," said Jim Champion, chairman of the Destination Midtown board. "We are a proud partner in the project."
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

AWESOME Not sure if I like the design but it may grow on me. and finally CSI Omaha. lol
And like they said its a shot in the arm for the area.
15-17, 26, 32
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

I'm not familiar with the intersection, anyone have any pictures of what is there presently?
Moovedtoomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Moovedtoomaha »

The Child Saving Institute is there presently. This building will be built on/around their current location. It's right before the Dodge-Saddle Creek turn off on Dodge, and kind of across the street and slightly west of Popeye's.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Nice!! Their current building is pretty drab. This would definitely make a statement.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Great to see it. The CSI's dinner at the Holiday Inn on Grover is one of the charity events I go to each year. I would encourage everyone here to go (the invites went out a few weeks ago).
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The CSI has been there for quite a while. I have a friend who moved to Omaha from South Dakota and works there.

I hope they build it out to the street this time, instead of that parking lot in front.

Which brings up a question: if UNMC is supposedly buying and tearing down Caffiene Dreams, then why aren't they doing the same for this place? The two buildings are practically on the same lot.
joeycheeto
New to the Neighborhood

Post by joeycheeto »

Swift wrote:The CSI has been there for quite a while. I have a friend who moved to Omaha from South Dakota and works there.

I hope they build it out to the street this time, instead of that parking lot in front.

Which brings up a question: if UNMC is supposedly buying and tearing down Caffiene Dreams, then why aren't they doing the same for this place? The two buildings are practically on the same lot.
I don't know how the UNMC purchase of Caffeine Dreams thing got started but I really don't think it is true. UNMC will probably not buy land, the University of Nebraska Foundation or The Nebraska Medical Center would probably be one of the two entities to buy the land; and I highly doubt they purchased the land because the Regents have to approve the purchase if it was the UNF and that has yet to happen. (FYI: the Foundation is the charitable arm of the Univeristy of Nebraska and the Nebraska Medical Center is the hospital arm of UNMC. The move of Saddle Creek is for UNMC so it would be far more likely that the UNF would be the entity to buy the land) The University Foundation did purchase the plastic factor on the Southeast corner of campus, but that is on the opposite side of campus as Caffeine Dreams!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The people who RUN Caffein Dreams told us so blame them if its not true. But I'm wiling to bet they know more about their own business than all of you combined....
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

In my haste I forgot to note that a guy who is a researcher at UNMC also has confirmed it as well as the management of CD. I was not supped to give out this info but I was forced to
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

joeycheeto wrote:I don't know how the UNMC purchase of Caffeine Dreams thing got started but I really don't think it is true. !
It got started here:

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4290

And I'm still holding out hope that this Caffeine Dreams rumor never materializes as true..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Me to Lou, me to.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Our fingers are crossed..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Where did the Child Saving Institute thread go?

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update (east and north sides):

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This building across 46th street from the new Child Saving Building has the big "I am going to get bull dosed" fence around it:

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

chalk up another parking lot along dodge st
Brad
City Council

Re: Child Saving Institute (45 and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

UNOstudent wrote:chalk up another parking lot along dodge st
I just noticed that.  All "formed" and ready to pave.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

UNOstudent wrote:chalk up another parking lot along dodge st
While I'm not a fan of parking lots either, I think you've got to give CSI the benefit of the doubt on this one....  They did a great job on the remodel and expansion of their main facility (which included removal of some parking spots), and what was torn down was a dumpy looking set of storefronts.  I'd gladly take this sacrifice of a couple of 60's era shops for what they've done.  

Here's to building quality over quantity....
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I think he was referring to the about-to-be-dozed building from a few posts above, and its likely use thereafter.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Big E wrote:I think he was referring to the about-to-be-dozed building from a few posts above, and its likely use thereafter.

-Big E
Yeah, that's what I was referring to as well - they were overflow offices for CSI.  

I'd assume that those people moved into the additional space in the main CSI building after the remodel.  While I'm not a fan of more parking, it was pretty much a wash - they took away a whole bunch of spots on their main property with the expansion of that building, so its only fair that they recouped those spots on the adjacent property (the one that had the crummy 1 story storefront offices).
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Brad wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 pm Considering the 4 story commercial federal tower was called a "tower", this will have a great presence to it even stetting down low.
Speaking of that - that's coming down as well, with the UNMC projects right?
yman97
Home Owners Association

Post by yman97 »

The main building is coming down this morning. Anybody know what CSI plans to do with this land?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

:clap:
yman97 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am The main building is coming down this morning. Anybody know what CSI plans to do with this land?
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

What I think is odd is that when you look at the drawing of the admin structure they want to build, I think that building is in the background!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Padre wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:57 am What I think is odd is that when you look at the drawing of the admin structure they want to build, I think that building is in the background!
The Admin building is on the south side of Farnam. This building is on the land they are trading to CSI. Probably just left it in the rendering because it doesn’t really matter.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

yman97 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am The main building is coming down this morning. Anybody know what CSI plans to do with this land?
kind of a bummer, from a sentimental point of view. My dad worked there under the commercial federal banner, but transferred west when they were acquired by bank of the west. I thought that building was cool, because they had (what seemed at the time) to be the biggest, widest staircase I had ever seen. I remember it having a late 70's color scheme even into the mid 80's.
Go Cubs Go
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

That was always a strange looking building because it has so few windows. Kinda sad to see it go, been part of midtown for many years.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Cermak wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:58 pm That was always a strange looking building because it has so few windows. Kinda sad to see it go, been part of midtown for many years.
Having lived here twice, and a transplant each time. This building always looked out of place. It looked like a budget 60's office building in a prime spot.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association

Post by Vitruvius »

Had it been saved and adapted, It would have been a nice little gem to contrast with and give context to what is coming to that area. The building fit the location perfectly. An Iconic landmark because of the color and the tiled surface. For some reason it makes me think of that great sculptural fountain that was between the escalators in Brandeis at Crossroads. Great examples of 1960's Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Couple photos from this evening:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

~35k sf expansion in the works for CSI.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:02 pm ~35k sf expansion in the works for CSI.
Any specific details on design, timeline, etc?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Expansion, renovation would double Omaha's Child Saving Institute building

A $46 million expansion and renovation project at Omaha's Child Saving Institute will let the nonprofit expand three existing programs and add another to better serve area children.

The Child Saving Institute is more than halfway to its fundraising goal for the project, which would see its existing building near 46th and Dodge Streets nearly double in size.

Previously, a developer planned apartments on a lot west of the existing building. But the plans were scrapped. The Child Saving Institute purchased that property for $1.85 million in 2019 and will put employee parking there.

A lot to the east, acquired in 2021, will accommodate an addition to the current building. The addition will house the organization's emergency shelter, new classrooms, therapy services, offices and a conference room.

Officials still are raising money for the project. Sime said they're more than 60% toward the $46 million goal. Once they pass the 80% threshold, he said, they can break ground on the project. He estimated starting on the west parking lot in the spring.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Be nice if it brought the height that the old bank did, but the rest of this area will be so built up in the next 5 or so years, it won't even be noticed. Anywho, glad this institute is expanding, they do good work.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Louie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:47 pm Be nice if it brought the height that the old bank did, but the rest of this area will be so built up in the next 5 or so years, it won't even be noticed. Anywho, glad this institute is expanding, they do good work.
I was thinking the same thing. Well, that and that BK / Ace Hardware area is going to look very under developed soon.

I can't believe we built anything new there with such low expectations. Chipotle and Qdoba for example are suburban style, terrible buildings for the area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Child Saving Institute to double space in midtown Omaha

OMAHA — Child Saving Institute hopes to begin construction this spring on a $46 million project expected to expand services and double its campus size at 45th and Dodge Streets. Leaders of the 130-year-old CSI said the project, enabled by a capital campaign that’s about 60% to its goal, aims to address growing community needs and enhance day-to-day experiences of CSI’s kids, families and staff.

Child Saving Institute plans expansion of services and doubling of its midtown Omaha campus. (Courtesy of TACKarchitects)

More specifically, it will add an on-site mental health clinic, a new 16-bed emergency shelter for youth and new early childhood education classrooms. Within the early education space will be innovative services for preschoolers expelled from or unable to attend traditional school settings. settings. “CSI is excited to be closing out yet another year with hope. Hope for all children and families living in Omaha despite their current or past circumstances,” said Jaymes Sime, president and CEO. The nonprofit CSI currently serves more than 2,500 children and families each year, offering early childhood education, therapy, foster care, parenting education and support, pediatric social work and emergency shelter. The expansion hopes to increase that reach to more than 3,000 children and families, said spokeswoman Chelsey Haas. CSI’s existing building of 50,377 square feet is to grow by about 57,000 square feet to the east, she said, stretching toward Saddle Creek Road. To the west, CSI has purchased land upon which a developer previously had proposed to build apartments. Haas said that area is to become additional parking for the growing CSI.

Working with CSI is TACKarchitects and Kiewit, as contractor.

Child Saving Institute expansion near 45th and Dodge Streets. Campus shown in white and yellow trim is to grow to the east, toward Saddle Creek Road shown on the right of this aerial shot. To the west is proposed expanded parking. To the north is Dodge Street. (Courtesy of TACKarchitects)
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Ah more surface parking too
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Experiencing long waitlists and growing need, Child Saving Institute expands to provide 'hope and healing'
'If you're in need of mental health services, waiting three to six months — might as well be three to six years'

Child Saving Institute was founded 130 years ago and has evolved throughout time to meet the changing needs of children and families. A decade ago, it began laying bricks for what will come next through the Campaign for Hope. To understand why the $46 million capital campaign is needed, we met the Hanway. Chelsea, 4-year-old Bristol's mom, explained how she first came across Child Saving Institute, or CSI. "A Google search, honestly," she said. "When I was six months pregnant, I wanted parenting classes." Chelsea took classes at CSI and later used the organization's therapy services. Bristol is enrolled in the early childhood education center.

"They really focus on education and getting your child ready to learn — teaching them how to learn," Chelsea said. "Since (Bristol) started here, she has just blossomed." Bristol had been at conventional daycare, as the family waited for an opening at CSI. That wait averages 14 months. The waitlist extends beyond early childhood education. For example, more than 150 children and teens are waiting right now for mental health services, even though CSI has doubled the size of that program in the last six years. President and CEO Jaymes Sime said the waitlist underscores the need. "If you're in need of mental health services, waiting three to six months — might as well be three to six years," he said.

By early 2025, CSI will have more than doubled its square footage and renovated its existing space at 45th and Dodge in Omaha. The organization cites the "rapidly growing need for pediatric and adolescent therapy, an expanded emergency shelter, supportive early education services and additional access to high-quality early childhood education." Through fundraising, about $28 million is in hand with $18 million needed to cross the finish line to provide 'hope and healing' to more families. Learn more about the Campaign for Hope: childsaving.org/campaignforhope

Volunteers are also needed to serve meals at CSI's youth shelter and for their Substitute Santa program.
skip
Home Owners Association

Post by skip »

Looks like the planning board will be voting on whether or not the CSI will be allowed to build a huge surface parking lot directly west of their building. Personally, not a fan of this - I believe that piece of land has a huge potential for residential development (even though the last project failed here....) and building a large surface parking lot is taking a huge step backwards. Building more surface parking lots this close to our urban core shouldn't be easily approved I'm hoping....

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ril/21.pdf